Homemade banner

Homemade banner

Monday, February 28, 2011

2011 January House Block of the Month

I am so excited to be participating in one of the QuiltingBoard.com's 2011 Block of the Month groups.  We started voting on what our theme would be back in October 2010.  The big winner was the House BOM.  However, we had so many votes for Stars that they decided to do two BOM groups.  One for House blocks and one for Stars.  I am doing the House BOM.  I have never done anything like this and am really looking forward to it.  It is a great way to practice new techniques each month.  It will be fun and at the end I will have a fun town quilt made up of all my House block of the months. 

For January they picked this great paper pieced Church block. Already, month one and I get to try something new.  Of course at this point in my quilting career everything is still new. :)  I decided to do some really simple practice paper piecing blocks just to get my feet wet. I didn't buy any new fabric for this block, I am using what I already have. I would like to be able to use my stash every month and then only purchase new fabric for the borders and backing.  Once I got started I had to rip out my seams a few times and I had to reprint two sections after already finishing them.  I didn't realize I needed to enlarge some of the print outs.  Now I do!  It probably took me longer than some people to do this block, but I am VERY happy with how it turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...