Homemade banner

Homemade banner

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Mellow Yellow - Project Quilting Season 9

I stumbled upon Project Quilting Season 9 when I was looking for a quilt challenge I could join on Instagram.  I am wanting to do more smaller projects so I can try out new techniques and practice, practice, practice.  By doing the smaller quilts or projects I would have more finished projects, which is always a win!  

What I really loved the most was how Kim Lapacek at Persimon Dreams described how she came up with this idea. She loves the show Project Runway (so do I) and she thought, "I want to learn how to sew clothes too" (I had the same thought).  But what she really loved was how they started with the yard of fabric, a challenge idea, and come up with a design and execute in a short amount of time, which is EXACTLY why I love that show.  And it is why I like watching shows like Masterchef too.  

So it looks like they do 6 challenges a season.  You have one week to start and finish your challenge project.  You can find all of the details regarding this awesome challenge here, Project Quilting.

Mellow Yellow was the challenge 4.  I didn't finish on time, but that is okay with me. I had just watched a video on The Quilt Show, show 2112 with Mel Beach, regarding reverse applique and wanted to try that technique for this challenge. With the theme of "Mellow Yellow", I instantly wanted to do something in honor of my Thimblebee quilt friends in Kansas City.

Marking the design on my quilt that I will free motion quilt.
I have a backing, batting, and two tops.
Yeah, I have room for lots of improvement!!!
Now time to start cutting away the black fabric to reveal the fabric underneath. 
Really am liking this technique.  Definitely, need practice on sewing my lines straighter. 
Preparing the binding. I received this cute bee fabric in a secret quilt swap. 
Finished mini quilt!  I'm not sure why I always struggle with the binding. 
Happy how it turned out and that I finished it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...